Sunday, April 26, 2015

Indian Epic UnTexbook: Tales of the Sun

After skimming through the book options for the Indian Epics UnTextbook, the Tales of the Sun by Georgiana Kingscote and Natesa Sastri, were stories that just happened to pop out at me. After clicking on the link and leading to the Gutenberg website, I used the EPUB version of the story, and downloaded the book to my computer. Because I have a MacBook, my computer automatically opened up the book in the application iBooks. I've used iBooks for my own personal reason, so I'm not sure why I never thought to use it before for school! It was a great tool, and it was perfect for this particular assignment because it was super easy to navigate through, and iBooks automatically placed a link to the table of contents at the bottom of the screen, therefore it was super easy to jump between stories.

One of the stories I chose to read was "The Poisoned Food". The main reason I chose it was because Laura currently has it bold because she is considering as a story to include in the UnTextbook. I really enjoyed this read, and I thought it was lighthearted and very easy to follow. The language flowed very nicely, and I never found myself asking "wait, what is going on?". I think sometimes whenever the language gets too flowery or there are a lot of words that are still in the original language that the story was written in, it can sometimes be hard to follow. However, I think this story (and the other stories in this unit) were great!

Another story I looked at was "The Lost Camel", and I really enjoyed this story. The logic behind each of the young men's description of the camel was really interesting. I liked that each of the men were able to use the observations of the trail left by the camel to make different assumptions about the camel. It was fascinating to me that even though nobody had ever seen the camel, they could predict what he looked like. Overall, I think the story was really easy to read, and it was short and simple. I think this story would be a perfect addition to the UnTextbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment