Thursday, April 23, 2015

Week 14 Storytelling: Straw Spun of Gold

"My daughter is the most beautiful and talented woman in all the land! She can spin straw directly into gold! Can you believe it? She deserves nothing but the most handsome prince as her husband," the poor miller exclaimed.

(Once Upon a Time [Miller's Daughter & Rumpelstiltskin])
The miller was sad, poor man who had lived his entire life living right next to the king's castle. He forever longed for his family to be royal, but he knew there was no way he could escape his poverty. For whatever reason this one day, the miller decided to press his luck and convince the king to
let him prove himself. If he wasn't going to be able to make it into royalty, at least maybe his daughter could live the life he always wanted.

"WHAT! Okay, well sir, I do believe you have yourself a deal. I love me some gold, of course, and if your daughter can really do what you're saying she can do, my son just might become the next available bachelor," the king cheerfully agreed.

When the miller got home, he delightfully explained to his daughter what her task would be, forgetting that this wasn't a talent she actually possessed. She had no idea what she was going to do. How would she be able to make this dream of her father's a reality?

Author's note: I decided to go with the story of Rumpelstiltskin as my story for this week because I love the story so much. I pretty much kept the story as the original, but just added a little more dialogue to the mix. I hope you enjoy my retell!

Bibliography: The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales translated by D. L. Ashliman (1998-2013).

2 comments:

  1. Hi MaKenzi, I wanted to start by saying I think you did a great job with this story. You did a great job of making the miller into a father that just wanted the best for his daughter. I had never really cared for the miller in the original story, but now my opinion is a little different. The photo you used was also very fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your story a lot! I've always thought diving straight in with dialogue works really well to pull the reader in. I'm not really familiar Rumplestiltskin, do they cut it short in that too or was that a decision you made? Either way I like, I think it adds some suspense and drama to the story!

    ReplyDelete