Monday, April 20, 2015

UnTextbook Online Reading Options

1. Device. I used a Macbook Pro laptop to complete this assignment.

2. Browser. I used Safari as my default browser, and for some of the readings, I downloaded them and opened them up in Adobe Reader. Some of them I just viewed as a PDF in my browser.

3. Best Option. I personally like downloading the PDF files because I find them a tad bit easier to read, but I think it's most likely due to the fact that that is method I am most familiar with.

4. Worst Option. I thought all of the options were great ones!

5. Reading Online. I have the Kindle app downloaded to my computer, so I use that for books that I read for leisure. I also have to read scientific documents/articles online often for many of my classes. I tend to just download the PDF to my computer and use Adobe Reader as the main program.

6. Taking Notes Online. Do you have a good method for taking notes when you are reading online in a browser window? For example, I open a plain text file resize my browser window and text file so that they both appear on the screen, and I take notes while I read. What notetaking method do you use for material you are reading in your browser window?

7. PDF Notetaking. I usually just pull up a word document (usually in the "note-taking" version) and place them side by side on my laptop in two separate windows.

8. Hard Copies. I personally prefer reading hard copies, especially scientific articles, because I find it much easier to take notes on a physical piece of paper because I am able to mark up all over the paper with highlighter and different colored pens, and then I type up my notes later. I often prefer printing at home because of the convenience; however, I tend to have to print documents with tons of pages and I run through printer ink like nobody's business. Because of this, I often will print off bigger documents from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment