Sunday, April 19, 2015

General Education Review

Knowledge
OU's general education requirements are very unique, in my opinion. I won't lie, when I first started at OU, I used to think the gen. ed. classes were really stupid and rather pointless. However, as I've gone through each semester of my college experiences, I've grown a deeper appreciation for the classes. The high school that I graduated from allowed many opportunities for students to earn college credit through concurrent courses at a nearby college, as well as numerous AP courses. I was lucky enough to come into OU as a sophomore with 37 hours under my belt. Many of these courses, were of course, general education credits. As I began to decide what I wanted to do and what direction I wanted to head with my degree plan, I began slowly trying to craft a way to just knock out all of the general education courses at once. I quickly learned that was a stupid decision on my part, due to my heavy load of science courses. I had nothing to cushion the blow, so to speak. General education courses, in my opinion, help students in all areas, which I think is the original purpose in the creation of them. If general education courses were not required, I would not have been required to take any sort of history, English, or social science course because none of which are automatically built into the curriculum of my major.

No comments:

Post a Comment